The dashboard below provides a status update on projects in the pipeline – T-WORKS, announced IKE projects, and additional IKE projects, whether in design or in construction. The project data can be filtered by KDOT district, project type, and pipeline, and depending on the project’s status, the table will provide information on the location, schedule, and estimated costs. Construction Pipeline projects announced in August 2022 are not yet reflected in the map above, but information about them can be found on the announcement page.
Additional information is available for several projects. Resources found here are changing and expanding as new information becomes available to the public.
Public meetings are a part of KDOT’s commitment to transparency and accountability under the IKE program. During these meetings, Kansans are able to view exhibits and project information, provide input and speak with project staff.
KDOT has listened to Kansans and learned from past programs. The rolling program allows KDOT to better address emerging needs and meter construction in better alignment with revenues. This approach lets us keep construction moving forward while we take a hard look at new needs, select projects wisely, and develop designs before committing to construction. Local Consult and project pipeline are further described below.
About every two years, the Local Consult process will occur. This is when your voice is critical. You tell KDOT what needs you see and we listen to see how we can solve problems together.
KDOT uses a series of methods that vary between project types.
Preservation projects are selected using well-defined, objective data through KDOT’s priority formula which is based on several engineering factors such as geometrics and safety, capacity, pavement structure, and pavement surface data. This data allows KDOT engineers to develop, prioritize and select for construction the preservation projects needed to maintain the state’s transportation system.
Modernization and Expansion projects are identified through the Local Consult process and scored. That information is used by KDOT to select projects for the development pipeline. Scores for each of these project types are developed based on the weighing factors in this chart:
Project Scoring Factors for Modernization and Expansion Projects
|Program||Engineering Factors||Regional Priorities||Economic Impact|
For Modernization projects, similar to Preservation projects, KDOT looks at geometrics and safety, capacity, pavement structure, and pavement surface data for 80% of the project score. The remaining 20% is determined following the Local Consult process to reflect regional priorities.
For Expansion projects, KDOT looks at current and future congestion levels, safety, and truck traffic to determine the engineering score. The engineering score weights these factors differently for urban and rural projects, as shown in the table below. These differences are in response to local input from Kansans, who asked us to put more emphasis on congestion in the state’s urban areas and on safety and truck traffic in the state’s rural areas.
Engineering Scoring Factors for Expansion Projects
|Project Area||Current Congestion||Future Congestion||Truck Traffic||Safety|
Scores for expansion projects also include 25% that is determined following the Local Consult process to reflect regional priorities and 25% economic impact. To develop an economic impact score, expansion projects that have high engineering scores and local support also undergo an economic analysis. That analysis looks at: 1.) Gross Regional Product (GRP) - The value of goods and services produced in a region. The impact to GRP is calculated by the travel time savings of freight delivery, decrease in commute times and increase in travel time reliability that would occur due to a project; 2.) Traveler Benefit - This is the amount of time people save outside of their work commutes (such as time spent shopping, visiting family, doctor visits etc); 3.) Benefit Cost - GRP + Traveler Benefit divided by the cost of the project. When analyzing projects for economic benefits, rural projects and urban projects are separated due to the differences in their respective economies.
Local input is gathered on an ongoing basis and during KDOT’s Local Consult process, which takes place every two years.
About every two years, KDOT will announce modernization and expansion projects. These projects will enter the development pipeline or construction pipeline based on a variety of factors, including feedback from Local Consult. In the development pipeline, projects are studied and designed. Some of these projects will move on to the construction pipeline based on readiness, relative need, and budget. This process gives us flexibility to adapt to changing needs and revenues every two years instead of every 10 years as in previous programs. That is a strong benefit of a rolling program.